Sunday, July 10, 2005

Kissing on the Street - Ok to look or not?

Is it ok to look when someone kisses on the street?

Just to clarify I’am not talking of a father kissing his first standard kid, a dog lover kissing a dog. We are strictly talking of a couple, old enough to understand what they are doing & doing passionately.

I’am not even talking of kissing in pubs or at parties I’am talking of kissing in public, on the streets.

We are not even discussing why this is happening & even if it is good or bad & so on.
Strictly, if someone kisses on the street is it ok to look.

Well that is a tough one isn’t it?

I have had the privilege (?) of being in places & at times when some couple or the other have wanted to express their love for each other. Considering that most of us these days are ‘open minded’, ‘broad minded’, ‘modern’, ‘very today’ & so on may be this happening in the first place is actually not a topic of discussion at all. Well needless to say I think differently. I think it is actually important to discuss. For the moment though if we assume that it has been concluded that it is ok for such things (i.e. kissing in public) to happen then I have the above question to ask.

Having asked the question I also feel there cant be a Yes or No answer to it. I mean come on how can I go about saying Yes I can look at a couple kissing on the street or even No I cant look at a couple kissing on the street.

Let me explain.

Firstly it is important to acknowledge that this is a new phenomenon. This kind of stuff is not something that used to happen in the past & it still doesn’t happen a lot even today. It’s just the rare cases. May be that is the problem that it is still rare in India. May be if it isn’t rare & one gets to see couples kissing just about everywhere then one wouldn’t react like this.

I’am of the view it should be ok to look. I mean come on if these guys who are kissing don’t care a damn about the fact that there are people around then why should I care about looking. They kiss & I look. They kiss some more & I look some more.

I’am trying hard to write, NO it is not ok to look but I’am unable to come up with genuine reasons for the same. Not that I have come up with genuine reasons for looking in the first place.

Let me deal with this question a little differently from the perspective of the kissers. If I were kissing someone in public would I like being looked? Umm may be not. But then having said that since it is not a regular phenomenon one is generally bound to give a second look at someone kissing in public. It’s only natural at least till it becomes a regular thing.

More than just looking what is important is what one feels about the whole thing. If I look & ignore then it is fine. If I look & start calling the couple names & start concluding they are this & that etc then it’s a problem. Then its getting to me & I should probably avoid looking at them kiss. May be even stop going to places where they are likely to kiss.

On a more serious note I feel it is important to give the couple the freedom to do what they want and the same way I feel I should get the freedom to look at as well.

It’s a win – win situation after all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counters