Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sarpass – Introduction (Part 1)

City life treats you well. A home you can come back to from office, an air conditioned office you can drive to the next day, friends you can drink beer with on a Saturday evening, life in the City is great. Contrast this with Living out of wet rucksacks, hiking up to the next camp in wet shoes, a sleeping bag for comfort in the night, a tent over your head & answering nature’s call where else but amidst nature. This is what one would call a Trekker’s Life.

Despite having done many treks down South, this was going to be a very different experience. I always fancied camping, Camping the real camping way. Most times during our South Indian treks, which are of 2 day duration, camping would mean sleeping in tents for the night just for the kick. Near by one would have a concrete structure with basic toilet facilities. This time around though we got to do camping the real way.

Looking back at those amazing 11 days, I recollect how disconnected I was with the city life. The only connection I must admit was to make a call home daily to tell mom I was fine & check up on things here. Guess getting away from the family bond is never easy. Each day had its share of surprises. Each day was more adventurous than the other. Just when you thought you had enough, there came the next challenge. This trek to me was as much a mental thing as it was physical. This trek was a test to the very end. Now that it is all over, looking back at it all, I still have a feeling of disconnect here. It is taking me a while to come back to the city life’s demands and very soon I will have completely given in to it. Until then I wish to cherish this lazy disconnected feeling.

The calm & peace, the spectacular views, the awesome variance in weather conditions right from hot sun to pouring rain to hail storms to the flaky snowfall. One would want it to never end. This trip only strengthened my belief that there is a lot to see in India itself & one needn’t really go out of here for it.

Sarpass – A YHAI (Youth Hostels Association of India) organized trek in the Himalayan region in Himachal Pradesh. The Base Camp was at Kasol at 6500 ft. The highest point trekked being Sarpass at 13800 ft. Highlights included, trekking on snow, sliding on snow, the route itself which is very picturesque and camping.

Sarpass Group No. - SP4. Reporting Date - 1 May 2009

2 Comments:

At Friday, July 17, 2009 8:31:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Lokesh. I have just completed reading your introduction part and just got mesmerized in to it.

Your passion truly speaks! It is definitely unforgettable break any one can think of.

More comments from me in a little while..

Dilip (Jhonnie Trekker)- SP4 batch 09

 
At Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:02:00 PM, Blogger Deepak said...

Hey Lokesh, pls accept my sincere thanks for having wonderfully woven the experience of SARPASS into your blog. The time and patience you have dedicated to write this blog is just instumental. I truly enjoyed reading every bit of it. It brought back the entire experience live in front of me.
SARPASS was an indeed a learning experience too in many ways. Personally i feel liberated in many ways. I feel I was disillusioned all this while. Since the time i am bak frm the trek i find so many changes within myself. Thanks to you and Imran and the rest of the mates for facilitating such an inspiring and memorable experience..DJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counters